Junior League of Central & North Brevard
In 1965, The Association of Junior League International was asked to compile a list of Junior League members living in Brevard County. The list arrived in June and between then and January, 1967, the local Junior League members got together and laid the groundwork for the formation of what is now the Junior League of Central & North Brevard. In 1983 the league became a member of the Association of Junior Leagues International. Currently we are one of 294 leagues in England, Canada, Mexico and the U.S.
We are an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Our purpose is exclusively educational & charitable.
The Junior League: Woman around the world as catalysts for lasting community change.
The Junior League of Central & North Brevard reaches out to women of all races, religions and national origins who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism.
The Junior League of Central & North Brevard accomplishes its mission through the actions of women who share the same organizational values.
- Continuous learning and providing educational opportunities for personal growth and volunteer leadership in a supportive environment.
- Respect and affirming the importance of our members’ diverse backgrounds, opinions, talents and skills.
- Service and every member’s potential to make a difference in our community through voluntarism, community leadership and advocacy.
- Collaboration and maximizing community impact through effective external partnerships and internal relationships to attain our shared mission.
FROM OUR COMMUNITY VICE PRESIDENT
Hello. Thank you for stopping by our webpage. The Junior League of Central & North Brevard (JLCNB) is an organization of highly motivated women who strive to transform the Brevard community through advocacy, direct service, public education and programming. But we can’t do it alone! We need the support from local community businesses and partners like you!
The core focus of the JLCNB is its community involvement with women and children. This year, we are concentrating a majority of our efforts toward childhood literacy, specifically the issue of “summer slide.” Summer slide refers to the regression that takes place when young minds are idle for three months resulting in a significant loss in reading skills. According to the National Summer Learning Association “A conservative estimate of lost instructional time is approximately 22% of the school year…It’s common for teachers to spend at least a month re-teaching material that students have forgotten over the summer.” The impact of literacy on a community should not go unnoticed. It has correlations to income, education, economics, poverty, homelessness, corrections, health and more.
Your support will enable us to continue, expand and create community outreach initiatives that support the mission of our organization and directly benefit the community of Brevard.
THE ASSOCIATION OF JUNIOR LEAGUES INTERNATIONAL, INC
Formed in 1921, the Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. provides continuity and support, guidance and leadership development opportunities to 294 leagues in England, Canada, Mexico and the U.S. Through regional, national, and international meetings, comprehensive resources, customized consultations, League and member benefits, we add value to our member Leagues in their fulfillment of the Junior League Mission. To find out more about the Association of Junior Leagues International, please visit their website at www.ajli.org.
132 West 31st Street, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10001-3406
JLCNB Board of Directors 2015-17
Immediate Past President: Ashley Ryder Hubble
Communications Vice President: Tammy Rickard
Community Vice President: Alysia Lee
Nominating- Placement: Liz Becker
JUNIOR LEAGUE OF CENTRAL & NORTH BREVARD ©2012 BrevardJuniorLeague.org All Rights Reserved
Alysia Lee- Community Vice President 2015-2017
I appreciate you stopping by our web site, please send us an email at email@example.com if you have any questions about the Junior League of Central & North Brevard.
The JLCNB depends on its fundraisers, gifts and grants to support its community projects, program services and volunteer training. Through our sponsors, donors and members we are able to contribute thousands of dollars and countless hours of service to the Brevard County community. Our efforts have helped the elderly, children and families in the areas of health & wellness, education, hunger and the environment.
As needs evolve in the community, so do our programs. Our current efforts are focused on preventing summer reading loss in at-risk children.
COMMUNITY PROJECTS & OUTREACH
- Literacy Programs: The JLCNB offers literacy programs to organizations such as the Boys & Girls Club to improve literacy rates in our community with the intent to improve the future potential of these children
- Kids in the Kitchen: –This initiative is aimed at empowering youth to make healthy lifestyle choices and works to help reverse the growth of childhood obesity.
- Scholarships: The JLCNB funds scholarships every year to deserving high school seniors who demonstrate a passion for volunteering in the community.
- Done in a Day (DIAD): DIAD is a 24 hour volunteer program that enables our League members to support various smaller scale community projects. Most of our Done in a Day efforts support local organizations such as Crosswinds Youth Services, Brevard Health Alliance and the Central Brevard Sharing Center.
- Crosswinds Youth Services
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida
- The Central Brevard Sharing Center
VOLUNTEER & ADVOCACY
- Literacy education and demonstrations
- Donations to the Central Brevard Sharing Center
- Donations to the Boys & Girls Club of Central Florida
- Youth Aging Out of Foster Care
- Providing necessities for young adults each holiday season
We are different because…
The JLCNB seeks to make an impact on the issues in our community through the effective action of trained volunteers. Our members participate in leadership, governance and community issue training. In turn, they impact the community through thousands of hours of community service inside and outside the league.
If you are interested in partnering with the JLCNB to help us combat our communities’ toughest challenges, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.